Proudly serving Utah, our Methadone clinics provide adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
What is the Purpose of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse?
The complexities directly related to opioid dependency require a comprehensive plan of treatment in order for individuals to successfully progress towards recovery. Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Utah understand that in order for patients to achieve lasting recovery, treatment for the behavioral, psychological, emotional, and physical components of this disease must be addressed and treated. Group counseling plays an extremely crucial role in the treatment of opioid addiction.
Group counseling is a tool that typically brings together multiple participants under the leadership of a singular counselor. However, depending on the goals and requirements of each group, multiple counselors may be used.
Through group counseling, patients are given the opportunity to openly discuss the behavioral and emotional factors that may have contributed to their addictions in the first place. Rarely does addiction develop on its own. Multiple factors such as stress, abuse, trauma, self-esteem issues, and/or mood disorders are often the root causes of an individual’s addictive behaviors. Group counseling offers patients a safe and supportive environment in which to navigate through these factors.
Objectives of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse
The success of sessions is directly linked to the patients who are sharing their experiences and emotions, as well as to the counselor who is leading the group. Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Utah believe that the following are the main principles of group counseling:
- Universality – Removing any feelings of isolation between members of the group by emphasizing the camaraderie that can be found through shared emotions and experiences
- Self-understanding – Obtaining understanding of one’s own issues by listening to other patients share their setbacks and accomplishments
- Interpersonal learning – Learning from the experiences of others, while being able to openly share one’s own emotions and viewpoints
- Altruism – Realizing the importance of aiding in the progression of the lives of others
- Hope – Accepting that other group members may have overcome hurdles that one may currently be facing
- Information – Learning more about the disease of addiction as well the recovery process
- Imitative behavior – Developing new techniques by observing the positive behaviors of the counselor and other group members
- Cohesiveness – Feeling a sense of purpose and support by sharing the process with others
- Catharsis – Letting go of pain and embarrassment by openly sharing one’s own struggles with the group
By providing patients with a safe and supportive environment in which to openly discuss their behaviors, emotions, and viewpoints, Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Utah believe that patients are able to productively progress in their treatment.
While there is no single cure for addiction, patients who obtain comprehensive treatment are statistically more likely to achieve lasting recovery. Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Utah provide patients with the tools, support, and education that is necessary to successfully progress towards a life free from opioid dependency.
Please contact Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Utah today to learn more about group counseling as well as the other treatment options that can be incorporated into a patient’s customized plan of treatment.